Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Massachusetts to Raise it's Sales Tax?

Reading the Boston Globe this morning just sent me over the edge! Yesterday, the Massachusetts House voted with veto proof margins to raise the state sales tax from 5% to 6.25%. The increase would raise approximately $900 million dollars a year. As you may know, the Commonwealth is experiencing extreme fiscal problems from poor financial planning and lack of a backbone by the legislature over the years. Our legislature unfortunately doesn't have an appetite for using real solutions to solve our problems. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not against a tax increase. I'm not one of those who believes we can have it all for nothing.

A sales tax increase is a terrible idea! The sales tax base continues to erode due to Internet sales. I can't remember the last time I bought a book at Barnes and Noble. But anyway, Governor Patrick has proposed a gas tax increase to help pay for our woefully deteriorating roads, bridges, and public transportation systems. The sales tax increase would not solve these problems, the gas tax will. Oh and how about some pension reform while we're at it too!

The legislature needs to get its head out of its ass and get on board with the Governor's proposals. They make far more sense!

The Boston Globe article that sent me over the edge: House Ok's Hike in Mass. sales tax

No comments: